As people in the West Bank face the guns of the Israeli military to resist the demolitions of their homes, international solidarity movements can take action against the companies manufacturing the bulldozers.
British company JCB manufactures both civil and military bulldozers, which are regularly used by the Israeli police, military and Civil Administration to demolish Palestinian property. It was JCB machines that rolled into the Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar last year to begin the preparations for demolition.
JCB’s bulldozers are used to build Israel’s illegal settlements and to expand Israel’s apartheid wall in the West Bank. They are also used in the construction of checkpoints and roadblocks.
For more information about JCB’s complicity in Israeli war crimes, please read the JCB chapter in Resisting Demolitions in Palestine.
Take Action Against JCB
• Protest and take direct action outside JCB’s headquarters, factories and dealerships, calling on the company to end its relationship with Israeli company Comasco, and ensure its machinery is not supplied to any Israeli organisation which will use it in the demolition of homes and property in Palestine, or for military purposes.
• Contact JCB, telling them about your concerns about home demolitions in Palestine. Write to the company at:
JC Bamford Excavators Limited, Rocester, Staffordshire ST14 5JP.
Phone them on +44 800 083 8015.
Email them via https://www.jcb.com/en-gb/about/contact-us
• Carole Bamford owns Daylesford Farmshops and the Bamford range
of products and spas. Organise protests outside these shops and spas, calling on Carole Bamford to end JCB’s complicity in home demolitions. Boycott these places and products. Bamford’s shops and spas can be found here.
• Write to the Soil Association and the NSPCC asking them to sever all connections to JCB and the Bamford family, and not to accept their donations.
• Call on Smyths Toyshop, Hamleys, Screwfix, John Lewis, B&Q, The Early Learning Centre, Target, Argos and Halfords not to stock JCB branded products. Hold a demonstration outside these shops, calling on them not to sell JCB products unless the company stops Comasco, their Israeli representative, from supplying these machines to the Israeli state.
• Contact your MP and ask them to ask a parliamentary question about JCB’s continued involvement in home demolitions in Palestine.
• Contact your local council and ask them to ensure that council contractors do not use JCB equipment, because of JCB’s involvement in war crimes.
• Ask your local councillor to propose a council motion to require contractors not to use JCB equipment.
• Demand that Carole Bamford be stripped of her OBE. She received her OBE for her work supporting the NSPCC, but has ignored the fact that JCB’s equipment is used in the demolitions of schools in the West Bank. JCB bulldozers made at least 31 children homeless during 2018.
22 July 2019: Solidarity with the JCB5, Derby court